Who gets these points
- Points are only awarded in OST and Championship events - which are detailed in the Event Series And Types Guidelines
- Only financial full members of OT clubs are eligible to score points in series competitions.
- Only hard navigation courses shall be awarded points.
- Points determine the annual performance awards and trophies, described here
- OST Points are gained in OST events only (not Championship events).
- Points gained on different courses cannot be aggregated.
- Place points : Ten points are awarded to the first finisher in each class, nine to the second, and so on down to one point for the tenth and all subsequent finishers.
- Time points : Ten points are awarded if finishing within 5% of the winner’s time, 9 points if within 10%, and so on down to one point for more than 50% or winning time.
- Place and Time points are added to obtain Total points for each competitor
- No points are awarded to competitors who run as a group, mis-punch, retire or enter unofficially.
Excellence Points are awarded in all OST and Championship events.
Points are calculated using a ‘handicap’ system, which calculates adjusted ‘minutes per km’ rates based on age and gender. The 25 fastest adjusted km rates for an entire event will be awarded points, with the fastest getting 25 points and the 25th fastest 1 point. Calculation of adjusted km rate is based on the following formula:
Adjusted km rate = Course time taken / Course distance * ‘age factor’.
For all events the age class used is the true age-based class for the individual competitor and not the age class of the course entered. For example a 61-year old runner entering a M21 class will have the M60 age factor applied, not the M21 factor.
In Championship events, only A classes at full distance qualify for Excellence points.
The points for each individual orienteer are calculated on their best X of Y events in the OST series and Championship events. The individual orienteer scoring the most points for the year, is awarded the John Brammall Trophy for Individual Excellence.
Points tables for this year and previous years
Please direct any omissions, errors or issues found in these results to the Event Results Manager - Jeff Dunn
2022 Excellence Points Final
2022 OST Tables, Age-Adjusted and Outright
Excellence Points 2021 Final
OST Points 2021 Final
Final results of 2021 OST series - both Age-Adjusted and Outright