Every year a Tasmanian Schools Team is selected to attend the Australian Schools Orienteering Championships, which forms part of the Australian Championships Carnival. In 2021 this carnival will take place on the East Coast of Tasmania from 25 September – 3 October.
How do I make the team?
To be eligible for selection you must:
- Be attending school or college.
- Be aged 12 or older at the end of 2021.
- Nominate for selection on the form used to enter the Tasmanian Schools Championships.
- Attend all 3 selection events and run the correct course (outlined below). If you are unable to attend any selection event due to exceptional circumstances, you must notify a selector by telephone or email prior to the event.
- Be a member of a Tasmanian orienteering club (this costs $25 but entitles you to membership benefits including entry fee discount).
When and where are the Selection Events?
- Sunday 28 March, Tasmanian Schools Championships, Stonehenge
- Sunday 2 May, Stag’s Head
- Sunday 23 May, Royal George
Click on the individual Events for more details.
How many people are in the Team?
In the week after the third selection event, selectors will announce a team of up to 20 people, with up to six people in each of the following classes:
- Junior Boys (born 2006, 2007, 2008 or 2009)
- Junior Girls (born 2006, 2007, 2008 or 2009)
- Senior Boys (born 2003/year 12, 2004 or 2005)
- Senior Girls (born 2003/year 12, 2004 or 2005)
What course/class do I need to run at the Selection Events?
Compete in an A class (correct for your age) at the Tasmanian Schools Championships. For the next two selection events, you must compete in:
- Course 6 – If you are eligible for Junior Boys or Junior Girls
- Course 4 – If you are eligible for Senior Girls
- Course 3 – If you are eligible for Senior Boys
How do I get ready for selection events?
Attend as many orienteering events and training opportunities as you can!
What does being in the Team Involve?
The Tasmanian Schools Team travels and stays together from Friday 24th September to Sunday 3rd October 2021. Team members compete in 9 events over the 10 days including the three Australian Schools Championship events – the Australian Schools Sprint, the Australian Schools Long Distance and the Australian Schools Relay Championships. Details can be found here.
The Team will be accommodated with the other state teams in St Helens. The team manager, assistant manager and team coach stay with the team for the duration of the carnival.
What will it cost?
- Accommodation, food, bus, entry fees for Schools Championships – approximately $1000 (payable about 2 weeks before the carnival).
- Uniform – approximately $160 for previous members & $400 for new members (payable as above).
- Two night Weekend Training Camp - about $150.
- Entry fees to the other Australian Championship Events.
The team is involved in regular fundraising activities to help offset costs.
What are the Expectations of being in the Team?
- Attend the Youth Development Camp – developing personal and leadership skills eg social media awareness, nutrition, goal setting, scheduling (Date TBC).
- Attend as many orienteering events as possible from selection until the Schools Championships.
- Take part in fundraising activities, as required.
- Comply with a Code of Conduct which will be distributed and discussed with all team members.
Can I still compete in the Schools Championships if I am not selected in the team?
Yes! You will be able to enter individual races and form relay teams provided you have the endorsement of the selectors. To be endorsed by selectors, you will need to demonstrate competency while competing in at least one selection race. However, you will not be able to stay with the schools team and you or your parents will need to arrange accommodation and transport and enter the races independently. You will also be able (and encouraged) to take part in the training camp.