Every year a Tasmanian Schools Team is selected to attend the Australian Schools Championships and wider Australian Championships Carnival. In 2019 this will be conducted by Orienteering ACT in NSW and Victoria from 28 September – 6 October. The Championships are being run as part of the Oceania 2019 Orienteering Carnival.
Can I be in the Team?
To be eligible for selection you must:
- Attend all 3 selection events and run your correct course (make sure you run an "A" class at the Tasmanian Schools Championships). If you are unable to attend any selection event due to exceptional circumstances, you should notify a selector by telephone or email prior to the event.
- Be a member of an orienteering club ($25 – but entitles you to membership benefits including entry fee discounts – ask how to join at an event)
- Attend High School or College
The selectors are:
When are the Selection Events?
- Sunday 7 April Tasmanian Schools Championships, Glen Stuart near Evandale
- Sunday 12 May Lovelybanks, Midlands north of Hobart
- Sunday 9 June Alanvale, Launceston (this is part of a 3 day event based in Launceston over this long weekend but you only need to enter on this day for selection eligibility)
Click on the individual Events for more details including for entry. You do need to pre-enter - keep your eyes posted for when entries open!
How many are in the Team?
In the week after the 3rd selection event, selectors will announce a total of 20 team members (ideally 5 in each class but with a maximum of 6 in any class). Here are the classes:
- Junior Boys & Junior Girls (born 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 (only if at High School))
- Senior Boys & Senior Girls (born 2003, 2002, 2001)
What course do I need to run at the Selection Events?
Compete in an “A” class (correct for your age) at the Tasmanian Schools Championships. For the next two selection events:
- Course 7 – Junior Boys and Junior Girls
- Course 4 – Senior Girls
- Course 3 – Senior Boys
How do I get ready for Selection?
Attend Orienteering Events! As many as you can!
What does being in the Team Involve?
The Team travel and stay together. They compete in seven events – Australian Schools Sprint, Long and Relay Championships and the wider Australian Sprint, Middle, Long and Relay Championships.
The Team will be accommodated with the other State Teams & New Zealand Teams with meals included. Four suitably qualified adults accompany them – all volunteers – a Manager and Assistant Manager as well as two coaches. The focus of the Team is on development. We aim for every team member to improve with support and coaching.
Parents and siblings - you can attend and participate. Entry for every event is open to all - just like a fun run. There are classes to suit all ages, skill and fitness levels. You will need to make your own travel plans. You may catch the same flights and catch up with the Team at events. But you MUST respect the positions of our Team Managers and Coaches and not interfere. This is a chance for your child to grow in independence and resilience.
What will it cost?
- Accommodation, food, bus, entry fees for Schools Championships – approximately $1200 (payable about 2 weeks before the Team leaves – No Pay means No Trip).
- Uniform – approximately $160 for previous members & $300 for new members (payable as per above)
- Two night Weekend Training Camp (TBA) - about $150
- Return airfares to Melbourne - up to $500 – you book and pay direct but we provide the flight options when the Team is announced including what flights our Managers will be on. Flights will leave Hobart Friday 27 September (a school day – otherwise Trip is during school holidays)
- Entry Fees to the wider Australian Championship Events (about $230-280 – you enter these events direct)
What are the Expectations of being in the Team?
- Compliance with OT Codes of Conduct. We require a high level of maturity and independence of team members (appropriate to age of course). We also require Team Members to want to do your best. You will be sent home if you break the Codes of Conduct in any way!
- Attend a one day training and goal setting session
- Attending the Weekend Training Camp from Friday evening (2 nights) TBA
- Attending all OST Events from selection until the Trip
- Involvement in Fundraising Activities. This involves helping with the BBQ/cake stall at OST Events and maybe another activity